Tuesday, October 16, 2007

 

First Day in Busan

October 15

 

First day in Busan.  Flew down from Seoul; I usually go by train, so I forgot how incredibly fast the flight is.  Up in the air, a round of sodas or juice, then down again.

 

Took deep breaths of wonderfully fresh air at Gimhae, then went immediately with my friend and colleague Mr. B. to the Clayarch Museum a bit further out from Gimhae.  We went to the opening reception for Museum Director Shin’s incredible personal retelling of his journey from traditional to contemporary ceramic arts.  ] Met Mr. Shin and had a moving explanation of the exhibit from his daughter, who curated the exhibit and grew up in the U.S. 

 

Nice conversation with three art professors from Seoul.  One lady seemed especially surprised that I was Korean serving as an American diplomat.  I told her my story, how I was born in Gyeonggi-do and was adopted when I was not even a year old.  She really thought I was from China!  I enjoy telling my story to people, how I grew up on the East Coast of America and had very little contact with other Koreans until I can back to Korea in the late 1980s for my first Embassy job, and how I came back to Korea in 2005 after other diplomatic postings in Vietnam, Egypt and Washington, D.C.

 

After the exhibit opening, I saw a sign for the President’s birthplace, so we stopped by to see the humble home where he spent the first few years of his life.  I admired the persimmon tree in the front yard and wondered if perhaps many years ago the President had some of the delicious fruit from the same tree.

 

Drove back to Busan, past the beautiful apartment buildings and the very modern City Hall.  So much has changed since I first visited Busan in 1990. 

 

Long day, had a quick bite of fried rice at a great open-grill place in the Seo-myun area.

 

Coming back to my temporary residence, where I will be until the Consulate is up and hopefully running well, I thought over the day, and how the trip that day captured so much of how far Korea has journeyed in so short a time, and how much the Korean-American relationship has matured as well.

 

 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?