Friday, June 23, 2006
World Cup clashes with Vietnam's university exams
Deutsche Presse-Agentur
June 8, 2006 Thursday 9:33 AM EST
SECTION: SPORTS
LENGTH: 352 words
HEADLINE: FEATURE: World Cup clashes with Vietnam's university exams
BYLINE: Martha Ann Overland, dpa
DATELINE: Hanoi
BODY:
With entrance exams for Vietnam's universities scheduled to take place
during the World Cup, football fanatics are facing a tough choice. Do
they study or watch their favourite teams play?
Like much of the world, Vietnam is getting swept up in World Cup fever.
But with university entrance exams starting at the end of the month,
watching football will cut into valuable study time.
It is a sacrifice that many students are willing to make.
"If I don't pass the exam this year, I will pass next year," said Nghiem
Trong Kien, 17, who said he is rooting for the German team.
"But if I don't watch football this year, I'll have to wait another four
years for the World Cup." That could be a risky decision.
With so few seats available for those who want a higher education,
getting a place in a university is highly competitive in Vietnam.
Every year hundreds of thousands take the entrance examinations but only
20 per cent will get in. For most students, their future rides on how
well they score on this test. And for those without the luxury of
retaking the test next year, this will be their only shot.
"It's studying first and football second," sighed Vu Manh Hung, 17, who
hopes to get a place in Hanoi's Transportation University.
"Although I love football, I have to refrain from watching any matches
until I take the exam."
Vu Duy Khanh, 18, said he will schedule his studying so he can still
watch his favourite team, the Netherlands, play.
"I'll watch at night and study by day," Khanh said. "Last year I took
the exam and failed, so this year I must pass."
With so many young men watching the games when they would otherwise be
studying, some female students suspect that the World Cup might give
them a slight advantage.
"I don't like football and I don't watch football," said Luu Thi Hoa,
17, who will be trying to qualify for a seat at the Hanoi University of
Technology, one of the most competitive in the country.
"None of the girls do."
"Maybe with all the boys watching the World Cup more girls will pass
their entrance exams this year," she said hopefully.