Sunday, June 18, 2006

 

Dad's Day; Wrong War; The Ranconteurs

Tried my best to do absolutely nothing today, but had a nice BBQ dinner with family and a friend who used to work for Enron.


###
Am re-reading the book 1453 by Roger Crowley. If you have ever have a chance, look up the Battle of Manikert of 1071. Romanus IV Diogenes launches into war against Alp Arslan and his Turkish Sunni army that don't want to fight him; they're on the way to fight Shiites in Egypt, but he ends up obliging the Byzantine Romanus and stepping on Romanus' neck in victory. The irony is that Romanus was originally gunning for extremist Turkmen nomads, not the relatively moderate Seljuk forces. Oops.

And this item from www.Wikipedia.org:

Alp Arslan: "What would you do if I was brought before you as a prisoner?"
Romanus: "Perhaps I'd kill you, or exhibit you in the streets of Constantinople."
Alp Arslan: "My punishment is far heavier. I forgive you, and set you free."

###
Finally, look for the Raconteurs music.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?