Friday, November 12, 2004

 

Chile Today, Hot Tomorrow...

Actually, it won't get hot till later next week when the VIPs begin to roll in. Some highlights of my Chile visit...

--I left Saigon on Tuesday night and got here Thursday afternoon. Accounting for the time difference, I actually spent FIFTY-TWO HOURS door-to-door. Overnighted in Bangkok, flew through Frankfurt, then to my surprise stopped over in Buenos Aires.

--Chile is cool and rainy. Santiago is a very modern city, lots of mid to high-rises, people look very prosperous.

--I spoiled myself with a McDonald's dinner last night. Well, here is my excuse: I only had 20 minutes before the start of a big meeting (we call them countdown meetings), and the hotel pastry cart looked totally inadequate, and a McD's was tempting me right around the corner. Nice thing is that I had three empanadas (cheese-filled delights) along my Big Mac and large fries. I'm not used to fast food, though: I had the saltiest taste in my mouth for about an hour afterward.

--OK, so I'll try Chilean food tonight, Friday.

--I got over jet lag very easy. I spent so much time flying that I just came out on the other end exhausted and ready to sleep all night.

--I think the President of Vietnam--or at least major members of the delegation--is going to stay in my hotel. I am sure I will not have a chance to meet them, but it would be a thrill to see them pass by in the lobby.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?