Thursday, June 10, 2004
Farewell to America
I am heading back to Asia this weekend and probably will not have time in between to write any long blogs. It has been a momentous four weeks, though, with the 60th anniversary of World War II and now the passing of President Reagan. I am glad that my mom came through the first phase of her eye surgery OK (although it is taking her a longer time to recover her vision than most people--perhaps because of her age). I was also happy to hear that Thu received an A in a Federal Income Taxation class in her Master's program at UMUC (www.umuc.edu), and that Cal received a black belt in his martial arts program. Four-year old Calista is snapping outfits for her Barbie collection whenever we go shopping. My two favorite purchases this vacation have been Kobbe's New Book of Opera (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Earl%20Harewood/002-8946264-8626457) and "White Blood Cells" by the White Stripes (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-8946264-8626457).
And the best new thing I learned about while back here has been satellite radio. The rental car I had was wired for XM radio, which has over 150 channels and every American music type you can conceive of (wait, no all-polka channel). http://www.xmradio.com/index.jsp Some of my previously unheard favorites include a band called Pedro the Lion and Loren Green's French version of a song called "Ringo."
OK, will blog again from Back Over There, about next Tuesday or so.
And the best new thing I learned about while back here has been satellite radio. The rental car I had was wired for XM radio, which has over 150 channels and every American music type you can conceive of (wait, no all-polka channel). http://www.xmradio.com/index.jsp Some of my previously unheard favorites include a band called Pedro the Lion and Loren Green's French version of a song called "Ringo."
OK, will blog again from Back Over There, about next Tuesday or so.