Thursday, June 17, 2004

 

Dread and Welcome

When I was back in the States I visited Steve Pepper, who works in the Washington bureau for one of the major TV networks. He showed me an audio/video mixing console that was less than ten years old, had cost more than a million bucks...and already was obsolete. I bought my Palm less than two years ago but already its updated cousins have three times the computing power and a half-dozen new features. Google is coming out with 1 gigabyte email boxes, Yahoo has just announced free 20 megabyte accounts to compete--and my tiny Hotmail account is now the Model T Ford of emails. Nowadays I dread newness just as much as I welcome it.

How do I cope with all this change? By keeping other things hopelessly long--I still use my manual Nikon and wear suits from the 1980s.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?